It is stored in “Control” Table
Q: How to install packages with all the dependency packages if all the packages are available at a common repository?
Ans : rpm –ivh –aid packagename.
Q: How to check, where a particular package installed it’s configuration files.
Ans : rpm –qc packagename.
Q: How to check the change log of the installed package.
Ans : rpm -q –changelog packagename.
Q: How to check, where a particular package installed it’s doc files.
Ans : rpm -qd packagenme
Q: How to check all the files installed by package?
Ans : rpm -q –filesbypkg packagename
Q: How to check the version of files installed by a package
Ans : rpm -qi packagename
Q: How to check the dependencies for a particular packages i.e. Required libraries packages etc.
Ans : rpm -q -R packagename.
Q: How to upgrade the packages which are already installed on to the linux box.
Ans : rpm -F install options packagename.
Q: What is the command to update only the rpm database.
Ans : rpm -i –justdb packagename
Q: What is the command to check whether a particular package installation would be successful but would not actually install the package.
Ans : rpm -ivh –test packagename
Q: How to check that a particular file belong to which package
Ans : rpm -qf filename
Q: How to list files in a package
Ans : rpm -ql packagename
Q: How to verify whether the files installed by package are intact or been tampered/corrupted.
Ans : rpm -qs packagename
Q: What is the command to create a new RPM Database
Ans : rpm –initdb
Q: What is the command to rebuild the RPM Database
Ans : rpm –rebuilddb
- How to add font files in an MSI package without using Wise Package Studio’s File Display Section.
- Difference between deferred & immediate custom action.
- What will you do if you can’t solve a issue in a package.
- How to add shortcuts to startup folder.
- Which applications should not be repackaged in MSI
- Which & why files are stored in C:\Windows\Installer
- What are the differences between patching, update & upgrade
- How to view to installation log files, which third party tools can be used for this task.
- Where can I find the schema of MSI file.
- How will you get the table details by using MSI SDK but not using ORCA.
- How can Network Shortcuts be added in an MSI Package.
- How to install certifications using MSI
- What are the advantages of admin install
- What condition on CA will allow to “Install” and “repair” but not at “uninstall”
- How to create nested MSI Installation
- How to create MST file from two MSI files.
- How to ensure that MSI gets installed only on WinXPSP3, win 7 and IE 8
My first try to consolidate all the app-v interview questions. http://sourceforge.net/projects/softgridhelper/files/Documentations/AppV%20Interview%20Questions_Ver_0.0.1Alpha1.pdf/download
As always your comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Download the latest from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mayadeploy/files/FAQ/
- Why the Flag files in OSD Scripts should be saved in Virtual File System instead of Physical System
- How to create default.sprj file.
- Explain the difference between Property and PROPERTY
- Describe the process flow of an installation in terms of the User Interface, Immediate and Deferred sequences
- What are the ADDLOCAL and ADDSOURCE properties?
- What is the difference between installations using ALLUSERS=””, ALLUSERS=1 and ALLUSERS=2 option?
- Advertised vs non-advertised shortcuts, what’s the difference?
- Maximum how many files you can add in msi?
- ProductCode, PackageCode, UpgradeCode, Explain them
- Explain Self healing process in details.
- Suppose you’re in an environment where you can’t use advertisement, explain how you would go about setting user specific settings
- What is the impact of leaving COM information in a generic registry component as apposed to in each relevant component
- How many sequences are there in an MSI
- Please sketch the entire process of creating a package, from the software request up to package delivery
- How many different sequence tables are there in an MSI
- How we can make two applications with same GUID to install on the same machine?
- How we create the small,minor and major upgrade?
- what is the disadvantage of using lock permissions table
- What are secure custom properties
- What is the difference between Repair and Self healing?
- What is entry point for MSI?
- What should be the condition of a custom action if we want to run it during install and uninstall ?
- Difference between Run, Run Once, Active Setup
- Use of INSTALLLEVEL Property
- Self-Heal (advertised shortcut) Vs Install on Demand (product Advertising)
- Self-Heal Vs Repair
- Per-user installation Vs Per-machine installation
- The reason why during a repair, bringing back missing files to System Folders is possible for a standard user who actually does not have a write permission to these folders.
- What are your thoughts and experiences for patching .msi files? What approaches have worked the best? What hasn’t worked? Why?
- Describe a methodology for populating the user’s profile with Windows Installer functionality. That one was funny because the interviewer was looking for Active Setup which I didn’t consider to be specific to Windows Installer.
- How do you configure an installation for an application that requires administrative privileges to work if the end user is not a local machine administrator?
- Have you ever had to modify a .msi directly without a graphic interface? Which tables did you modify and why?
- Describe the most difficult project you have worked on. What was the problem? How did you solve it? What did you learn?
- What tools are in your “packaging toolkit?”
- Have you had to edit permissions?
- How would you change permissions on files and registry entries?
- What are the differences between the lock permissions table and external tools for editing?
- How would you populate components from a machine-based installation to a user profile?
- What tools do you regularly use asides from your primary tool (WPS or IS or etc…) in the process of creating a package?
- An example of a condition you would use, and what it would be useful for.
- If you were to receive a vendor MSI, how would you repackage it to comply with company standards?
- Do you recommend modifying vendor MSIs? Why/why not?
- What are the advantages of using MSIs?
- Explain to me what self healing is and how you can leverage it for user specific files/registries
- Besides self-healing, what other options do you have for creating user specific files/registries and under what scenarios would you use those?
- How would you troubleshoot an application that does not run on a locked down environment but does run as administrator?
- When would you use Setup Capture and what kind of clean up would you performed on a captured MSI?
- Have you created merge modules? Why?
- What is the purpose of Validation and how do you handle ICE errors on vendor MSIs?
- Walk me through the entire packaging process from request to deployment you’ve been exposed to in previous roles.
More Questions can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/mayadeploy/files/FAQ/. Just select the latest PDF file.