- Boot from knoppix
- Repartition your drive
- Base Partition – This is were your winXP is installed
- Image Partition – this is were your image of windows xp will be copied
- mount the image partition: mount /dev/sda2 /media/img
- Use the command to create the img: ntfsclone -s -o /media/img/winxp.img /dev/sda1
- use the command to restore the img: ntfsclone –restore-image -O /dev/sda1 /media/img/winxp.img
Note: It is a good idea to have ext3 as filesystem for your image partition so that the image file is not deleted accidentally and also it overwrites the FAT32 2GB filesize limit.